Your donations to and purchases from Vintage Thrift benefit the United Jewish Council of the East Side. Founded in 1971 by neighborhood leaders & residents, the UJC works to preserve and stabilize the Lower East Side through a wide range of human services and community development programs:
- hot kosher lunches delivered to disabled and housebound Lower East Side residents and to the three senior centers it operates
- van service for the disabled & elderly for access to supermarkets and local shopping as well as doctor appointments
- after-school tutoring, youth entrepreneurial and job training programs
- consumer advocacy for the elderly
- community Legal Immigration Clinics for free advice and access to information
- Jewish programming such as hosting two community Seders and providing Seder packages to families in need; Chanukah and Purim festivals with costumes, food, dancing, and games.
- weekly study sessions by Partners in Torah and the Jewish Outreach Program
- with The Lower East Side Conservancy—our nonprofit sister organization— fundraising for and preservation of the landmark houses of worship on the LES along with the promotion of Jewish culture through historic walking tours and educational programming. Visit their web site at www.nycjewishtours.org.